new royalty based standard

From: Matt Greer <tortus@rcnchicago.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:12:21 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear W3C,

I am strongly opposed to the new proposal for RAND and the payment of
royalties of any kind to the W3C. Open source software, such as Apache, PHP,
and many others, depend on the W3C's current standards in order to create
software that is truly royalty free and open source. Switching to a royalty
based system would seriously jeopardize open source software.

Please reconsider your proposal and find a more suitable way to raise funds
for the W3C. Your organization does a great job and I think the internet
community as a whole would be very willing to work through this without the
need for a royalty system.

Thanks for your time,
Matt Greer
tortus@rcnchicago.com