NO to RAND

From: Brent E. Edwards <chipuni@hypersurf.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:51:39 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Dear W3,
	As a programmer, I absolutely and totally opposed the option of allowing
RAND patents to be part of W3 standards.  Such a change could kill software
development by creating a 'standard' which is monopolized by a company, then
raising the price of entry for the standard.

	In your consensus points, you state that 'recommendations addressing
higher-level services...may have a higher tolerance for RAND terms.'  This
consensus is very short-sighted.  What is a higher-level service now will
become the basis for even higher-level services in the future.  Putting these
on a RAND basis will greatly limit the chances of developing these
higher-level services.

	Millions of server and client computers (including the one that I am on
right now) depend on the free availability of W3 standards.  A move to make
some standards depend on proprietary, patented algorithms will kill this
vibrant industry.

		-- Brent Edwards