Please do not encumber our standards with patents

From: Jamie McCrindle <jamie@thecodecollective.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:15:49 +0100
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Allowing W3C standards to become encumbered with any non-RF patents, even RAND patents would be a very bad idea. If the corporations refuse to share their patents with the W3C, I do not believe it is appropriate that the W3C should accomodate them. The pressure should be on companies that have patents that restrict development of standards to open up their patents rather than the standards accepting non royalty free patents.

jamie.