Patents & W3C standards

From: David Eppstein <eppstein@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:04:17 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I read on Slashdot that you are considering a change in policy to allow
fee-based patents to be used for W3C standards.  My point of view, as a
random web user and site developer: currently I see you (W3C) as being one
of very few groups devoted to maintaining the quality of the web
experience for all users, without regard to corporate profit.  I have a
lot of respect for your standards; I go out of the way to make my own
pages obey them as much as possible, and complain when other sites' lack
of compliance interferes with my browsing.  The ability for anyone to
write standards-compliant software without paying fees to large
corporations is a big part of why the web is usable to me; as one
instance, I maintain a small academic web site that includes some
on-the-fly image generation, possible without fees thanks to your support
of the PNG standard in place of fee-based GIF image encoding.

Your support of free solutions is a big part of why I respect your
standards.  If you make this change, you suddenly become yet another
industry coalition mouthpiece in my mind, and your standards will have no
more interest to me than the ones promoted by Microsoft, Netscape, Apple,
or Sun -- perhaps less, because you have less power to enforce those
standards with your software.
--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein@ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/