W3C Patent Policy: Bad bad bad!

From: Garth Highsmith <ghighsmith@theglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:13:55 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
To whom it may concern,

The issues are complicated and I hope enough comments have been received
to state my opinions in a more eloquent and succinct fashion than that
of which I am capable.

The short version:  The web survives only because of open, non-fee based
and unpatented standards.  To allow patents to be adopted as standards
is counterproductive to the web for both business and non-commercial use.

I am strongly opposed to allowing patented technologies to be adopted as
standards.

Thank you for this opporitunity to (briefly) comment,

Garth Daley Highsmith
Bozeman, MT USA
ghighsmith@theGlobal.net