RAND

From: Sean Borman <sborman@bode.lisa.nd.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:11:14 -0500 (EST)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Sir/Madam,

As a researcher, programmer, and user of free and open software
products, I stongly believe that encumbering web standards with patent
licensing issues will detrimentally affect the further development of
a free and open web.  I believe a strong case can be made that the
success of the web has much to do with the fact that it is not
encubered by licences.  Lets keep it that way.  It saddens me to think
that the w3c would bow to such pressure given the likely consequences.

Sincerely,

Sean Borman

 Sean Borman (Doctoral Student)               Net: Sean.Borman.1@nd.edu
 Dept of Electrical Engineering
 275 Fitzpatrick, University of Notre Dame
 Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA