RAND will kill the Web

From: Tom Bruns <tbruns@satx.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:04:01 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
As one who uses open-source and free software exclusively the proposed
W3C patent policy would:

1. Make it impossible for me to use the Web in the future and eliminate
the competition of free software.

2. As Alan Cox says: Threaten the very freedom of intellectual debate,
allowing only large companies and big media houses to present
information in certain ways. Imagine where the web would be now if only
large companies were able to use image files.

3. Also, as Alan Cox says: When patented W3C standards ensure there is
only one web browser in the world, its owners will no longer have time
for the W3C or standards.

I am absolutely opposed to the inclusion of patents licensed on any
terms other than RF in W3C standards. Anything else is completely
unreasonable.

Sincerely,

Tom Bruns