Patents in W3C technical documents

From: Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 06:42:12 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I am distressed to read about the W3C considering allowing the RAND
licensing in the technical documents.

The W3C has been a beacon of patent-free innovation.  PNG was a great
example of innovation that provided technology to the world.

I have been a web developer since 1994.  The work of the W3C has
guided us away from proprietary systems and enslavement to the patent
system.

Please reject any proposals that involve the use of patented
technologies.  It is far better to have no standard than to have a
standard that can't be used by everyone.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey