[OT] Re: MSN blocks non-IE browsers: the real idea with RAND "standards"

From: Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:12:33 +0200
To: "Jason Antony" <s1118355@student.gu.edu.au>, www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
On October 26, 2001 09:52 am, Jason Antony wrote:
> Martijn Dekker wrote:
>
> > Microsoft, one of the prime RAND patent policy proposers, is now
> > actively blocking browsers such as Opera, iCab, and Mozilla from
> > accessing msn.com. Apart from IE, only Netscape is let in.
>
> seems like they saw the light and backed off. Here:
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7660935.html?tag=tp_pr

Maybe they talked about backing off.  They are still blocking Opera (even
when set to identify as MSIE 5) and Mozilla.  According to Microsoft:

   "We're in the business of reaching as many customers as possible and
   providing services and content to as many customers as possible. The last
   thing we're going to do is turn people away."

This is not true, quite obviously, since that is exactly what they're doing
now.

   "Microsoft expects to have MSN.com fully accessible to the browsers
   late Thursday."

Oops, didn't make it.  If you think this is part of a pattern of conduct, you
can make your views known here:

  http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/contact/newcase.htm

--
Daniel