WEB infrastructure and RAND

From: Lowell Harris <Lowell.Harris@FormsandSupply.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:56:37 -0400
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
I have been reading some of the comments posted concerning the issue of
RAND.  I particularly agree with what Hewlett Packard submitted.   Having
RAND in the WEB protocols would be like allowing someone to patent, say for
example, algebra, the multiplication tables or negative numbers.  I have
always thought the expressed purpose of a world wide consortium was to
ensure that the best building blocks were chosen NOT using patented
technology, so that it can be used by everybody and to keep the playing
field somewhat level.  I am asking you to please abandon the RAND initiative
altogether or anything like it.

Sincerely,
Lowell Harris