Royalty-free patents only, please

From: Allen Smith <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:46:57 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Hi. I'm someone who sometimes works on web software, including both
new software (primarily in perl) and changing old software. If a W3C
"standard" involves having to pay patent fees (royalties) - I won't
follow it. (And no, a "Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory (RAND)
licensing option won't be sufficient.) If you're interested in my, and
other open-source programmers, following W3C standards, don't allow
royalties to be included as a option for licensing involved in
standards. Keep W3C Royalty-Free!

	-Allen Smith
	76 Lipman Drive, Cook College
	New Brunswick, NJ 08901

--
Allen Smith			easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II