From: Patrick Chapman <pchapman@canada.com>
Date: 11 Oct 2001 13:07:36 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I must briefly give my comments on the compatibility of patents and web standards.

As a web site administrator I use mostly open source software. Since it would be impossible for such software to use patented standards be definition. I would be forced to reject any standard that includes patented technology.

I also believe this is a very dangerous precedent to set as this would allow people to own part of a public method of communication.

In short I oppose the move.

Patrick Chapman
Bioinformatics Computer Analyst