Regarding recent Patent Policy Framework draft

From: Daniel LaBell <dlabellva@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:39:33 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

World Wide Web Consortium
Patent Policy Working Group
www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group,
    I believe inclusion of patented technologies in future web standards, if
they are not provided "royalty-free", would hinder development of new
platforms (computers,phones,devices, etc.) because it would, simply, raise the
cost of entry -- individuals with ideas and smaller companies may not be able
to brook the cost.  I can't see how exclusion, although indirect, but real
none the less, can serve the goal of a "World Wide Web", as it goes against
the very meaning of the name.

Daniel LaBell
Newport News, Virginia USA