oppose abuse of patent system to limit web free flow of information

From: paul ih <pfoldes@eidmgt.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:25:49 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
                      World Wide Web Consortium
                      Patent Policy Working Group
                      www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

                           Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group,

                           I'm concerned about the recent Patent Policy
Framework draft, which could allow
                           W3C members to charge royalty fees for
technologies included in web standards.

                           In particular, I object to the inclusion of a
"reasonable and non-discriminatory"
                           (RAND) licensing option in the proposed policy.
I believe that the exclusive use of a
                           "royalty-free" (RF) licensing model is in the
best interests of the Internet community,
                           and that RAND licensing would always necessarily
exclude some would-be
                           implementors.

                           I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing
open-source reference
                           implementations and its work to promote a wide
variety of interoperable
                           implementations of its open standards. The W3C
can best continue its work of
                           "leading the Web to its full potential" by
continuing this tradition, and saying no to
                           RAND licensing.

		    This is not a knee jerk response to EFF concerns. It is essential
that the free flow of information and innovation not be unduly restrained.
There is nothing 'reasonable' about the current proposal.

                           Sincerely,

			Paul Foldes