Essential Claim question

From: Noble, Lisa <lnoble@liberate.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:08:52 -0700
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
In reviewing the proposed W3C Patent Policy, I noticed that the
definition of "Essential Claims" is limited to "any patent or application
with an effective filing date within one year and one day after the
publication of the first Public Working Draft."  My reading of this
definition excludes from Essential Claims any patents or applications
having an effective filing date prior to the publication of the working
draft.
Is this a correct interpretation? If yes, then I really do not understand
the rationale.

Lisa Noble
Director, Strategic Technologies
Liberate Technologies