RAND is a bad Idea

From: Karl Doblinger <karldoblinger@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:08:53 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Ladies & Gentlemen

I am not a programmer, developer or even involved in internet standards other
than the fact, that I USE the internet.

I have just read that you are contemplating to allow patented technologies
under the RAND type license.

I urge you to resist. Large "evil" corporations will make cross license deals
and cut out the smaller/individual developers, not to mention the open source
community, who cannot afford licensing fees. This will stall innovation.
Imagine, this would have been the case since the beginning of the internet.
It simply would not exist in it's current form.

It's just a bad idea.

Karl Doblinger