Patent Policy

From: Dhruva Reddy <sledgehammer2010@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I write to voice my objection to the adoption of
"standards" for whose use royalties must be paid.

The requirement of a royalty payment may not be an
obstacle for a for-profit organization which expects
to profit from the use of such standards, but it is a
major obstacle for those who expect no payment
whatsoever.

Adoption of such standards will reduce innovation by
put up artificial barriers to entry that only large,
for-profit organizations can overcome.  This could
effectively prevent the best talent in the world from
implementing an important specification, resulting in
a lower standard of technology for everyone.

Please keep up the good work that you have been doing,
and keep all of your standards trully open.

Thank you,
Dhruva Reddy