RAND will either kill W3C or the internet

From: David Jander <david.jander@protonic.nl>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:16:49 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

RAND will not work. Open-source software development is not possible anymore
if patneted standards are in the way. But open-source software is what mainly
powers the internet these days.

If the W3C is turning their back on the open-source community, internet as it
is today will cease to exist. If that is your goal, be careful, since that
could as well kill the W3C as a standard. Standards have to be open, or else
there will be always a strong force against them. It happened to X-Open, it
happened to GIF (from Unisys) and it could happen with the W3C also.

If W3C was to adopt RAND, I would encourage the free internet community to
create a new standard organization to supercede W3C. I am not alone with this
thought, and I am sure this is very likely to happen in this event.

Furthermore I support the comment of Alan Cox on LinuxToday:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-09-30-010-20-OP-CY