Patent Policy

From: Eric Johnson <ejohnson@calarts.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:25:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Please, I urge you to reconsider your policy regarding commercialization
of web standards.  For those who wish to create revenue from
patented standards  online, they can create compelling applications using
them.

This action will severely limit growth on the internet and impede further
development on standards.

Where would we be if TCP/IP weren't open?
Or if HTML or IRC hadn't been open?
Don't force the purchasing public to use AOL... which could well happen if
this continues forward, or there could be a parsing of the internet
altogether and a potential reduction of the control of the standards
bodies currently controlling it.

Regards.

=-Eric