plea against RAND patents in W3C standards

From: Bjoern Kriews <bkr@d2mail.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 12:16:06 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

As a developer for one of germanys largest websites,
I depend on a lot of free software implementing W3C standards.

The W3C label has always meant to us:
This is a standard we can use on rely on to be implemented by
the free (as in speech) tools we like to work with.

This would no longer be the case if patent-protected standards
are allowed to creep in.

Allowing patents in Web Standards feels like allowing patents
on everyday language.

Keep up your the good work you did for the web until now,
save us and yourself from companies which are not interested
in open standards.

Bjoern Kriews

not speaking for / just working at mobile.de