Patents restrict progress

From: Michael Rowehl <mike@mycasanetwork.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:46:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
    I am very upset to hear that patented technology is even being considered
for inclusion in future W3C standards.  The web has advanced due to the open
standards thus far created by the World Wide Web Consortium.  And as the
Overview says, this is due to the open collaborative process that has been
used.  Basing new standards on patented technology closes off many possible
avenues of advance unless the researchers either break the law or divert from
the standard.  Neither of those actions is desirable if we are to see maximum
benefit.  Please reject this policy and keep web standards open,

                                        Mike Rowehl