Re: SVG ad inf.

From: F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:50:21 +0100 (BST)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Oct/0998.html

Chris Lilley wrote:
> This is why in my own, personal feedback on this list
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Oct/0060.html
>
> I asked that once a specification was at the Proposed Recommendation
> stage, the holders of any declared patents be required to pick one of
> several choices including withdrawing the patent as unrelated, oferingan
> RF license on it, or stating the exact fees to be charged for RAND *and*
> the specific sections of the specification that were affected.

Thank you for your reply.

While personally I believe the W3C should have a policy for insisting
on RF licensing of all patents that affect a specification, I would be
satisfied with the amendments you have proposed.

Regards,
Francis James Franklin

Deep in the human unconsciousness is a pervasive need for a logical
universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step
beyond logic.
          --- from `The Sayings of Muad'dib' by the Princess Irulan