somethin smell fishy

From: Ken Forbes <familytree@megapathdsl.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 10:37:15 -0700
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
We will be charged royalty fees on everything on the Web, including .gif
files we use on our sites -- per file? Seems like an impossible thing to
enforce? In time it will become the standard? It will start at the corporate
level, with companies that fail to comply being blacklisted or worse? Then
it will filter down to the consumer level?

Somthig smells fishy or is there a sale on fish.