my opinion on the subject (Web Technology Patent Area)

From: Pieter Reint Siegers Kort <psiegers@elnorte.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:00:59 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
To whom it concernes (this should be a whole bunch of people),

this is an open and short sharp comment on the latest developments in the
web technology patent area.

I would like to see the WWW based on open standards, just like the radio and
TV. It should not be restricted nor controlled by any company in the world,
wherever they are big or small ones, to avoid situations like we saw with
Unisys and the GIF format, which ask unpayable amounts for using "their"
image format. And when I say unpayable it really is, just check it out. I
have to add that this is just an example, but a very clear one of what could
happen in the near future with all kinds of web technology stuff.

Let the Web be free, now and forever!
Let the Web be controlled by humans, and not companies!

Regards,

Ing. Pieter R. Siegers
Grupo Reforma
I + D Nuevas Tecnologías Web