[www-patentpolicy-comment] <none>

From: (wrong string) ázquez C. <alexv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
   World Wide Web Consortium
   Patent Policy Working Group

     Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group:

     I'm concerned about the recent Patent Policy
Framework draft,
     could allow W3C members to charge royalty fees
for technologies
     included in web standards.

     In particular, I object to the inclusion of a
"reasonable and
     non-discriminatory" (RAND) licensing option in
the proposed
     I believe that the exclusive use of a
"royalty-free" (RF)
     model is in the best interests of the Internet
community, and that
     RAND licensing would always necessarily exclude
some would-be
     implementors, especially among open source and
free software

     I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing
     reference implementations and its work to promote
a wide variety
     interoperable implementations of its open
standards. The W3C can
     best continue its work of "leading the Web to its
full potential"
     by continuing this tradition, and saying no to
RAND licensing.

     Ing. Alejandro Vázquez C.

Do You Yahoo!?