From: Dr. Mahesh S. Raisinghani <mike_rai@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

World Wide Web Consortium
   Patent Policy Working Group

     Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group:

     I'm concerned about the recent Patent Policy Framework draft, which could allow W3C members to charge royalty fees for     technologies included in web standards.

     In particular, I object to the inclusion of a "reasonable and non-discriminatory" (RAND) licensing option in the proposed
 policy. I believe that the exclusive use of a "royalty-free" (RF) licensing model is in the best interests of the Internet community, and that
     RAND licensing would always necessarily exclude some would-be implementors, especially among open source and free software

     I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing open-source reference implementations and its work to promote a wide variety
of interoperable implementations of its open standards. The W3C can best continue its work of "leading the Web to its full potential"
     by continuing this tradition, and saying no to RAND licensing.

     Mahesh S. Raisinghani, Ph.D., CEC

University of Dallas, Graduate School of Management

Do You Yahoo!?
NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month. Yahoo! by Phone.