Re: Apple's SVG patent

On October 5, 2001 04:08 pm, Chris Lilley wrote:
> I have asked Adobe to clarify their licensing terms since they contain a
> condition that was future-looking when originally submitted but no
> longer needs to be conditional now that all the working group members
> have made their license terms known.

This is good, but it shows that the SVG recommendation should not have been
accepted until after this step had been completed.  Good things are worth
waiting for.  I for one, would be happy to wait a while for SVG if it means
that I can get an SVG without patent encumbrances.

> Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest that if the goal really was to prepare a specification
> > unencumbered by patent claims, the SVG working group could have done much
> > more in that regard.
>
> Such as....

Such as waiting for final disclosure of claims from all participants, and
determining for each whether RF licensing is available.  Then analyze the
extent to which the remaining non-RF claims apply to the recommendation.
Next, change the recommendation to avoid infringing any such claims.
Finally, if this is not possible for some claim, suspend the recommendation
and publicly identify the company whose claims forced the recommendation to
be suspended.

At that point, we, the public will do the rest.

--
Daniel