Patent Policy

From: Edward Terry <eterry@crosswinds.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:47:21 -0400
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
I would like to urge in the strongest possible terms that you not allow
patents on W3C standards.  Patented technology should not be considered for
inclusion in a W3C specification.  Any company which wants its technology
included in a standard should have to surrender any and all patents.  This
is essential to allow small businesses and independent developers a
realistic chance to compete.  The fact that W3C is considering allowing
patents on its standards gives a definite appearance of impropriety.  It
gives the appearance that W3C has the interests of large corporations at
heart.  Please preserve your reputation for impartiality by rejecting
patents on W3C standards.

I am aware that W3C does not have a policy of only writing specifications
that could be implemented free.  This does not mean, however, that you
cannot adopt such a policy.  I would like to urge you to do so.

Thank you.