say no to RAND licensing

From: Chad K. Bisk <CKBisk@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:00:35 -0400
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group,

I'm concerned about the recent Patent Policy Framework draft, which could
allow W3C members to charge royalty fees for technologies included in web

In particular, I object to the inclusion of a "reasonable and
non-discriminatory" (RAND) licensing option in the proposed policy. I
believe that the exclusive use of a "royalty-free" (RF) licensing model is
in the best interests of the Internet community, and that RAND licensing
would always necessarily exclude some would-be implementors.

I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing open-source reference
implementations and its work to promote a wide variety of interoperable
implementations of its open standards. The W3C can best continue its work of
"leading the Web to its full potential" by continuing this tradition, and
saying no to RAND licensing.

At the very least the W3C needs to require all members to disclose any
affecting IP upfront.  No backdoor tricks of allowing silence to default to
RAND should be allowed in any way.

Chad K. Bisk
11918 Sentinel Point Court
Reston, Va 20191-4832