Re: [www-patentpolicy-comment] <none>

On Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:38:26 -0400 (EDT), Christopher Hicks wrote:
>In terms of computing technology, the IETF
>stands as a shining example of how to get standards widely implemented.
>The fact that the standards were written by practical engineers instead of
>standards lawyers is certainly one reason for that.

I am quite sorry to say that a colleague pointed out that,contrary to
popular belief, the IETF actually has adopted a RAND model.

More information can be read at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt.
Especially chapters 6.2 and 10.3 make for quite interesting reading. Given
the fact that IETF has been coined as a success story on standard
implementation by various contributors to the current discussion (who are
zealously opposing RAND style arrangements in the W3C case), plus the fact
that IETF uses a RAND model makes it clear to me that I perhaps should
re-evaluate my position on the matter at hand.

Kind regards,

Chris Winter