Patents not in the best interest of the web community

From: Kurt L. Sussman <kls@merlot.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 01:22:13 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
> Universal Access: To make the Web accessible to all by promoting
> technologies that take into account the vast differences in culture,
> education, ability, material resources, and physical limitations of
> users on all continents;
> Vision: W3C promotes and develops its vision of the future of the
> World Wide Web. Contributions from several hundred dedicated
> researchers and engineers working for Member organizations, from the
> W3C Team (led by Tim Berners-Lee, the Web's inventor), and from the
> entire Web community enable W3C to identify the technical requirements
> that must be satisfied if the Web is to be a truly universal
> information space.
> Interoperability: Specifications for the Web's languages and protocols
> must be compatible with one another and allow (any) hardware and
> software used to access the Web to work together.

These are from the W3C's stated goals, role, and design principles

While they don't clearly exclude patented technologies in web standards,
such phrases as "accessible to all", "truly universal", and "(any)
hardware and software" seem to be as inclusive as a mission statement
can be. Patents are used to exclude access, not to include or allow

Please accept only RF Recommendations, to better accomplish the goals of
the W3C.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our
freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." * Abraham Lincoln