Opposed to Patents in Web Standards

From: SuperLinux <superlinux@usa.net>
Date: 4 Oct 2001 14:33:00 PDT
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Thank you for extending the deadline for feedback.

I oppose the proposal to introduce RAND licencing for W3C standards.

I believe The introduction of patented technologies into W3C standards creates
a situation where an organisation could systematically destroy the ability of
some developers to implement key W3C standards.

In practice the proposal could also create legal difficulties as most
counties have greatly differing positions on software patents.

Web standards should remain free and open to all. To do otherwise threatens
the a major segment of the web community which has helped create the web
as we know it.

Steven Gibson

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1