patent policy

From: <cheeser@ionet.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:06:03 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Allowing patented technologies to become a part of W3C endorsed standards
would do enormous damage to the web in particular and the net in general.  A
quick look at Windows based networks should be ample evidence to show that
proprietary technologies in the foundation of a network make interoperability
and competition difficult if not impossible.  Such a provision would also, in
essence, strangle out any open source solution since the necessary royalty
funds would be nigh impossible to come by.  Please don't adopt this proposal.
 90+ % of my computing is done on open source software and would to be able
to continue to do so.  Don't let the web become susceptible to the corporate
monopolization we see on the desktop.  Thank you.

Justin Lee