I recognize only royalty-free standards

From: Scott Johnston <scott@accom.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:42:54 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
CC: johnston@vectaport.com
As a long-time developer of both commercial and open-source software for
graphics and video applications I would like to comment that
I personally do not recognize as a standard any proposal based on
royalty-based software patents, whether reasonable or otherwise.  I do
believe the W3C has a right to base their proposals on royalty-based
patents, and I am then free to ignore them in my future work.

Scott Johnston
http://www.ivtools.org