Re: No

From: Paul Winkler <slinkp23@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:27:26 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Jeffrey Foran <d972@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Unless the technology can be guaranteed for free use by any
> not for proit organization, application, or individual,
> patented technology should not be used in any standars lest
> you wish to lower the quality and validity your standards
> organization has so long worked for.

I'd go further and take out the "not for profit". To a small business
(like mine), all license fees make a difference. For example, it is
now far from clear to me what license fees I might or might not have
to pay if I were to sell a low-cost commercial product that uses SVG
technology. Considering that SVG has been heralded as an "open
standard" for quite some time, there may already be small businesses
in exactly that position. I wonder if some of them will find that
these RAND licenses will have an unacceptable impact on the bottom
line.

- Paul Winkler

--
 custom calendars:   http://www.calendargalaxy.com