Re: public opinion on W3C

From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@home.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 13:07:51 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
>Photography is one of my hobbies, and I visit a number of photo-related
>sites where JPEG2000 would make a big difference in their ability to
>support a large number of visitors (large images that are supposed to
>compress much better with JPEG2000 than with JPEG). I would feel quite
>discriminated.

MNG provides a patent-free RF way of compressing large images.  Photos
compressed 800:1 in MNG are a bit blurry, but so are highly-compressed
JPEG-2000 images, I believe -- although when I approached the J2K working
group about getting a set of their test images they essentially told me
to take a long hike off a short pier.  See http://pmt.sf.net/magn/

W3C should be working on RF alternative to JPEG-2000, but hasn't shown
any interest in MNG, although the PNG group finished its work in January
2001.  See http://www.libpng.org/pub/mng/

Glenn