Patents and the WWW

From: Chris Brand <Chris_Brand@spectrumsignal.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:53:53 -0700
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Firstly, let me say that I fully support your recognition that "submarine"
patents could be an even bigger problem as we move forwards, and therefore
"full disclosure" of any relevant patents should be required by all
participants.

I firmly believe that a large amount of the software that makes the WWW
function today would not have been possible without Royalty-Free standards,
and I believe that RAND would effectively prevent Open-Source
implementations of standards. RAND therefore does not appear to be a good
way to develop standards for the WWW.

A requirement for disclosure of patents is certainly a good thing.
I do not believe that standards should be drafted using the RAND model.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Brand [ Software Technical Lead - Wireless Systems ]
Spectrum Signal Processing Inc.

t 604.421.5422  //  f 604.421-1764
mailto:chris_brand@spectrumsignal.com
www.spectrumsignal.com

Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not
the addressee indicated in this message please destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply email.