From: Andy Macdonald <andy@greenhead.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 09:57:55 BST
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Please register the following comments on your proposals

1) Background on patents, standards, interoperability and the Web

I object to this section of the proposals which will have the effect of
encouraging patenting of web technologies. I believe the W3C should do its
utmost to discourage patent activity in web technologies and press for the
adoption of Open Source licencing (as advocated at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) of ALL internet software
technologies. A similar form of licencing should be mandatory for any
hardware/firmware standards that are necessary to the operation of the

2) Proposal for disclosure and minimum license obligations of W3C Members

Sorry I haven't time to consider these.

3) Proposed changes to the W3C Process Document and Member Agreements

Sorry I haven't time to consider these.

Andy Macdonald
Network Manager, Greenhead College
Huddersfield, HD1 4ES, England.
Tel: 01484 422032
Mobile: 07932 635057        :-)
"All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the
policies of Greenhead College"
See award winning web site: