problem #1: the authors

From: <Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:51:14 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
One other thing: allowing the choice of royalty-free vs. rand license is
contrary to (my) common or business sense. If it is at all possible,
every corporation is _required_ to press for a RAND licensed standard.
The whole point of business is to generate money, so they will do if you
give them the chance. And a rand license would be a  license to print money.

And that points to the main flaw of the proposal: it's written by
business representatives (sorry).

That leads to conflicting interests: as standards commitee members
they should oppose patents, as business members it's in their best
interest to force patents on the w3c.

Looks like they try really hard to do that ;)

Cheers, Mathias

P.S.:
If it's not clear from the above: I really think every standard must be
implemented only with royalty-free technology. If not, the w3c and the
internet will suffer.

--
                            virtual earth
 Mathias Picker