Re: The Once and Future Web - a proposal

On October 4, 2001 08:45 am, Jason Antony wrote:
> I hereby propose that the W3C work in Internet time and modify the draft to
> reflect the following:
>
>  - mandatory patent disclosure by members of the WG;
>
>  - ensure all W3C standards and recommendations - past, currently under
>    development and future - shall remain freely implementable and royalty-
>    free, with no restrictions whatsoever, in perpetuity;
>
>  - lastly, shelve RAND;
>
> Kindly add anything I may have missed, or any errors.

Well, none of the following are concerned with the content of the document on
the table, but:

   - Extend the public review period by longer than 11 days.  Two months
     would be more appropriate, considering that the original comment
     period was largely wasted because of inadequate public notification.

   - Retract the SVG 1.0 Recommendation, since it incorporates patented
     elements that rely on a policy not in effect at the time the
     recommendation was accepted.

   - Admit individuals and nonprofit organizations to W3C membership with
     reasonable fees and full membership rights.

   - Deprecate the use of members-only documentation.

--
Daniel