Re: The Once and Future Web

Daniel Phillips wrote:

<snip />

> So if we count the thumb as a finger then
> you're right, we don't have to go to the second hand.

Ah, *but*:

 - Susan Lesch's message doesn't commend RAND, it only praises the document
   as "excellent from a mechanical standpoint". No mention of RAND.

 - Gerald Lane's standpoint leaves me confused. While his first
   para indicates support for RAND, his closing para goes thus:

        <quote>The W3C Patent Policy Framework Proposal will never provide
        complete certainty for specification developers and product
        implementers. We should allow the technical experts to work
        unencumbered by complicated rules and leave the patent issues for
        discussion outside of the standards organizations.</quote>

   By this, does he mean standards orgs [a la W3C] should stay out of
   proposing such frameworks, or that they shouldn't dictate how patent
   holders may implement their "IP" in standards?

   The more I read it, the more the latter seems the one. Leave him in.

 - Alex Simons of Microsoft: no comment :-) although I wonder if it
   could've been forged. Has anyone verified the IP ad. in the msg header?

 - Daniel Weitzner - I couldn't find a single instance where he commends
   RAND per se without quoting the PPF draft. Still, we'll leave this one
   in.

 - Janet Daly has merely posted the text version of W3C's response to our
   comments, which is mirrored at http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response
   Again, no personal commendation.

So now, we're down to what, two or three comments in favour of RAND's
adoption?

Cheers
Jason

P.S.: Here are the links: