Re: "forked" standards base

From: Daniel Hellerstein <danielh@crosslink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:06:40 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
> As a (part time) open source internet software developer, I second your

arguments.

I would argue that these proposed RAND standard is the wrong answer to
a real problem (for example, I've seen patent threats encumber work on delta-encoding
I've been involved in).  Instead of capitulating to these threats, W3C ought to formally
fight them -- as by seeking to undermine the claims, or by a more aggresive tack of
requiring licensing fees only of patent owners
who are also requiring licensing fees.