Re: [Patents] Richard Stallman re: W3C Patent Policy

From: Pascal Desroche <pascal@ker.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:35:57 +0200
To: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org, www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org, C-FIT_Community@RealMeasures.dyndns.org, fairuse-discuss@mrbrklyn.com, nylug-talk@nylug.org, patents@liberte.aful.org, DMCA_Discuss@lists.microshaft.org, love@cptech.org
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 09:14:35AM -0300, Rik van Riel écrit:

> > But please take note of the danger of the Hague treaty, which
> > threatens to globalize *all* the laws of the various signatory
> > countries that can restrict what you can publish. If patents are
> > included in the Hague treaty--and that is the current proposal--and if
> > Brazil signs it, Brazilians that publish software on the net could be
> > in danger from US patent law.
>
> ... unless I'm not publishing to the US ;)

no. if Brazil signs it and you publish in Brazil, or in any other
country wo signed the Hague treaty, then you may confront the legal
machine of a foreign country member of the treaty.

and if you think you may block access to a software depending on where
the connection is coming from, then maybe you should propose your
solution to Hollywood ;)

and by the way, there is no interest in setting US people aside.
you'll find the same apathetic people you describe in every country
and in quite the same proportions.

the fight against patent software is wordwide, with local actions.

Pascal

--
Pascal Desroche
http://www.arkam.com  -  http://www.april.org