Opposition to proposed RAND policy

From: gavin <gav@gav.com.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 19:39:41 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Hi,

I am part of the free software community and I realise that you have a lot of
submissions to go through, but I would also like to briefly voice my
opposition to the proposed W3C RAND policy.

My reasons are as follows:

The proposed policy is against the W3C charter as published on the W3C web
site.

It discriminates against the free software community.

A standard is something that everyone should adhere to and should be patent
free. Organisations should be able to extend the standard with their own
patented technology.

Patented technology as a standard encourages corruption within a standards
body and bias towards particular patent holders. To prevent any form of this
occuring it should be mandatory that any standard be patent and royalty free.

Regards

Gavin Melhuish
Software Engineer
Sydney Australia