They are farming us!

From: Erik Sigra <sigra@home.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:18:18 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
A few thousand years ago, mankind learned farming. It is the act of adapting
the environment to our needs. Instead of collecting wild seeds and roots,
mankind replaced the wild plants with monocultures that maximized the
production of materials useful to us. Wild animals were replaced with cattle.
Mankind changed their environment to make it support the maximum number of
humans.

Today lawyers are doing the equivalent. They adapt their environment
(society) to their needs. Instead of collecting wild seeds and roots (taking
legal cases that are necessary and meaningful), they reshape the society to
maximize the production of legal cases useful to them. Free bussines and
individuals are replaced by the cattle of the lawyers, people who are bound
by fear of legal actions and depend on the services of the lawyers. In this
way the lawyers have changed their environment to make it support the maximum
number of lawyers. They have been most successful in the USA, where the
people have chosen to become cattle. Will we Europeans go the same way?