Re: A plot to destroy W3C

From: Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:30:12 +0200
To: Jacek Piskozub <piskozub@mpl.ucsd.edu>, www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
On October 3, 2001 03:10 am, Jacek Piskozub wrote:
> I believe W3C has now a good opportunity to save the Web standards by
> rejecting this ploy. The RAND proposition should not be adopted not only
> for the general public good but also in order to save W3C itself.

Well said.  But we should go beyond that and make the W3C better than it was
before, by changing its charter to include representatives from the public
sector: open source developers, the EFF, FSF and others.  It does not make
sense for exactly those groups in whose interest it is to erode standards to
enjoy exclusive control of the W3C.

Blocking this attempt to legitimize the patenting of basic web interfaces
should just be our first step.  After that, we must reform the W3C itself, or
replace it.

--
Daniel