[www-patentpolicy-comment] <none>

From: Brian K. Hill <bhill@iglou.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:37:05 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I personally believe that the new policies that are being debated for
possible passage, and eventual enforcement will cause the demise of the
world wide web as a place for everyday people to post home pages, or any
other personal web activity besides using it for email and e-retail because
business will be the only ones able to afford to pay for the use of every
file used to create their sites. The web will no longer be a place for
every person to have a presence. It will turn off many people, and cause a
significant loss of people who use the web. Thereby causing a loss of
possible e-retail business for those businesses on the web! Having a group
of lawyers, one of whom represents Microsoft, and one of the others
Hewlett-Packard on the committee for this decision with no one on the
committee being anyone who has IT experience to be appalling. What are you
people at the W3C thinking? I personally hope that this is not implemented,
we web surfers and users were sold a bill of goods that told us that the
world wide web was a place where not only business could thrive, and find
new ways of reaching consumers, but also a place where all users could have
a presence and share there unique personalities. This smacks of the
almighty dollar once again trampling on what was once something everyone
regardless of economic background, who could afford the approximately $20
it takes to access the web could have a presence on to now being once again
a place where only those of unlimited wealth can attain. SHAME ON YOU!