new policy bad for everyone

From: Matthew Cutts <cutts@cs.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Hi, I'm yet another person against this change in policy. I'm a
software engineer at a company that you've heard of. I believe that
W3C standards should remain totally open, with no patents
encumbering those standards. The history of Rambus, GIF, and MP3
shows the problems of the proposed policy changes. I strongly
urge the W3C to reject this policy change. As an open source user,
I also worry about the impact of the proposed policy on open source
software.

I hope that you will listen to the many voices against this change.
If you do not, I plan to take a more active (and vocal) role
regarding the W3C.

Sincerely,
Matt Cutts
cutts@cs.unc.edu (writing from my school account)