No Fees in a free and open organization

From: Kelly Held (WTMI Atlanta) <kheld@wtmionline.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:28:37 -0400
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
In order to gain interoperability between heterogeneous systems an open and
free standard is required.  A licensing requirement is generally only
required when groups work in secrecy out of the public domain to develop and
their product in a closed environment.  How do you decide who gets the
monies in an open system.  They can't be just for your benefit if others
have contributed.  Will I get a check for every RFC I comment on?

There is a place for capitalism and a place for free and open co-operation.
Your organization should be one of free open and free communication funded
by other companies on a voluntary basis.  Don't try to fund yourself through
the fruits of others in an open community.

Thank You
Kelly Held - CCNA, MCSE, OCP
WorldTravel Meetings & Incentives
Sr. Systems and Security Engineer