Re: [Patents] Richard Stallman re: W3C Patent Policy

From: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:18:59 -0300 (BRST)
To: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
Cc: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>, <C-FIT_Community@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>, <fairuse-discuss@mrbrklyn.com>, <nylug-talk@nylug.org>, <patents@liberte.aful.org>, <DMCA_Discuss@lists.microshaft.org>, <rms@gnu.org>, <love@cptech.org>
Richard Stallman wrote:

> If the World-Wide Web is indeed to remain "world-wide", it must
> not depend on restricted standards.  The W3C cannot prevent
> others from developing or using restricted standards, but it
> should not lend its name to them.

Absolutely.  While I'm not affected by any of this
myself, it would be a shame if my friends in the USA
lost the opportunity to participate freely in the
internet community.

As for the development of free software ... I'm busy
setting up a site dedicated to providing hosting and
development of software which is legal in "the rest of
the world". To keep this site out of legal trouble I'll
just put measures in place to make sure americans won't
be able to download the software ;)

regards,

Rik
--